Skip to main content

Feeling Nostalgic


There are certain series that I began to read in my early teens, that have grown with me through most of my life. They're like old friends. Some of them are simply long-running series' from amazing authors (Terry Pratchett), whose imaginations seem endless; and some are evidently slower to write, and pop up every five or so years, (George R.R Martin).

I grew up with some of these stories. I remember the first time I ever plucked a Discworld novel from the shelves of my school library, drawn by the intriguing cover. That book was Witches Abroad, a hilarious, fantastical satire about three witches (the infamous Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat), fairytales and voodoo. I was hooked.

Terry Pratchett was one of my favourite authors. I say was, because sadly, about a month ago he passed away after battling early onset Alzheimer's. Since then, I've re-started the series (beginning with the Colour of Magic) and have been working my way through it in my spare time. I haven't read the books for quite a few years, but it's amazing how quickly you're taken back. Sometimes those books you loved as a child don't hold up quite so well as an adult, but not so here. I still love each and every book, with a few particular favourites (the Witches are always the most enjoyable for me, followed closely by Pratchett's character Death). It's been an enjoyable journey, a private little send-off in my mind, for one of my favourite authors. I can only hope one day that someone reads and re-reads my books, with that particular nostalgic feeling.

It's made me think of a lot of other series' that I haven't read for years, but hold special places in my heart, and I think that I'm going to make a bit of an effort to venture down memory lane again, perhaps with C.S Lewis' Narnia series, and the Hobbit, and maybe even some Enid Blyton, for old times sakes.

So what about you? Do you have any particular series that you've grown up with, or loved for so many years? 


Comments

  1. I've liked the In Death series by JD Robb and have been reading it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many, that I am struggling to keep up with them all, but I am a big fan of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar, the late Anne Mcaffrey's Pern, JD Robb's In Death, Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, Sharon Lee/Steve Miller's Liaden...well,,,you get the idea, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment